Friday, November 28, 2008

Reader Question - Classroom Mural on Oil Painted Walls



"First of all, I want to say that your paintings are awesome!!!!!! You are such an inspiration!! I teach school and love to paint. My principal has given me permission to paint on one wall in my classroom. I want to do it right.

My problem is, the wall has been painted with oil white paint, I suppose as with all walls in a school (for protection). How should I first prep the wall before painting to make the paint stick, use kiltz or something like it? Then, what kind of paint should I use to actually paint the mural....acrylic? I know oils don't mix well with each other.

One more.........once the mural is painted, what do I use to seal and protect it? I feel so confident with your advice! Your murals are beautiful!!!

Thanks for being there for us amateurs! Many thanks and blessings for taking your time to answer my questions....." Diana :-)

____________________________________________________________________

Hi Diana, Thanks so much for your nice comments!

First of all, I really appreciate when people take the time to reach out and ask for help and advice. I would be happy to answer your questions for you.

Yes, you really do need to prime the walls first before painting them. Kilz has a great primer sealer. I would do 2 coats.

As far as your mural paints - go with anything waterbased. I use mainly acrylics and even some latex for blocking in larger areas with color. I don't use oil based paints at all because I am very sensitive to the fumes. (It gives me headaches).

The best product to seal a mural with is a water based varnish in a flat / matte finish. Whatever you do, don't use polyurethane, even if it is water based because it will yellow if exposed to the sun. There is even a special uv resistant faux finish sealer on the market that you may want to look into. Keep in mind that you don't want to seal the mural for a good week or so. You want to mural paint to settle and dry thorougly first.

Well, I hope that I was able to help you. I would love to see pictures of your mural when it is done. Be sure to take before and after pictures!

Good luck and Happy Painting! DAWN

2 comments:

Dina said...

Hi thanks for following my blog! I always wonder when people have several blogs which one you would like me to follow? Especially in your case, I am so not crafty in the way you are..so I will follow you to whichever blog you want traffic to go to.

Painter Mommy said...

Hi Dina. Please feel free to follow whichever blog you wish. :) I am not picky. I can use traffic on any of them. Thanks!

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

Murals & Faux Finishing - Tips, Advice, and Ideas - Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008